Author: DJ D-Mac
Strictly seven-inch singles. Mostly classic breaks & funk business recently added to the 45 box.
1. Billy Squier - The Big Beat [Atlantic] The name says it all. Most recently sampled on Dizzee Rascal's 'Look Sharp' single.
2. Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg - Je T'aime... Moi Non Plus [Fontana] Slow & sexy, breathy & halting. They could be singing about watching paint dry and it'd still sound dirty.
3. Roger Mores - Jungle [Disques Vogue] If Martin Denny were a bit more French Continental, he'd make a tune that sounds like this. No jungles in France as far as I know...
4. Beginning of the End - Funky Nassau (Pts. 1 & 2) [Atlantic (UK)] A bouncy funk classic! Definitely an influence on Quantic's signature sound.
5. Idris Muhammed - Could Heaven Ever Be Like This? (Pts. 1 & 2) [Kudu] Classic disco-jazz business.
6. Donald Austin - Crazy Legs [Eastbound] Classic funk tune, with a nice conga breakdown.
7. Pat Lundy - Work Song [Pyramid] Funky. soulful version of the mod jazz classic by Oscar Brown, with a great spoken word intro.
8. Chakachas - African Yama [Polydor] Lesser-known latin-flavored afro-beat tune from the funky folk who brought us Jungle Fever.
9. The Second Thought - Slingshot [Briteleaf] I spied this one during a Quantic DJ set some time ago. Rare funky instro.
10. Afrika Bambaata & Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock [Sugar Hill] Got this hip-hop classic in a dope 7-inch picture sleeve.
11. The Bodybeard Brothers - Original Love Injection (Boca 45 mix) [Leisure Recordings] The only brand new release on the list, Boca strips it down to chugging drums'n'guitar hip-hop beats.
07.27 Summer Beats
12.28 Italian Ice
09.27 Getting Caught Up
04.06 Strictly Forty-Fives
03.26 Out Like a Lamb
12.31 Mid-winter heat
09.29 Mixed Little Bag
08.13 Mid-summer heat
07.30 Digging Deep
01.15 I Got Som[e] More
11.02 I Got Som[e]
10.02 Nevilles Fall Faves
09.01 Summer is almost gone
07.24 Summer Breaks
03.29 Spring in the Dancestep
02.17 Icy Cold Cuts
01.21 The Best of the 06
12.12 New Beats
10.25 Secret Weapons